We are delighted that you are interested in donating your time to the Gibson Center. Every hour is worth gold to us and has lasting impact. Here we describe each opportunity but if you have more questions or would like to sign up, please call Jill Reynolds at 603-356-3231
- Island Caretaker: Keeping our parking lot plantings looking fresh. A few minutes each week in the summer maintains a welcoming, garden like appearance.
- Lilac Hedge Care: Our long lilac hedge benefits from once a year in June trimming, dead-heading and weeding.
We are stronger for our work with other organizations in our community. If you are already involved with one of these, you would be an excellent bridge for us. We are looking for one volunteer per organization.
- Valley Promotions liaison
- Chamber of Commerce Liaison
- Parade Liaison: choose local parades, organize permits and decorations.
- MWV Adult Day Center Liaison
- OLLI Liaison
- Library Liaisons
- AARP Programs
- Service Link Liaison
We receive donations from various sources in the Valley and we sort and distribute those gifts.
- Food Pickups: Once or more per week we receive notice of donations from local grocery stores. You would need a pick-up truck, van or station wagon for the crates.
- Summer Gleaners: Local farms offer fresh produce if we will pick it.
- Dining Room Servers: Set tables, serve, and clear tables, 10:00-12:30 one or more weekdays
- Meals on Wheels Drivers: one or more mornings a week, 9:00-11:00
- Food Pantry: make emergency food packs, and/or manage our inventory for expiration dates, volumes, and variety needs.
- Dining Room Decorator: Decorate dining room for special events and holidays.
- Customer Service: Wait on customers, reorganize racks and shelves; one day a week on Mondays-Saturdays 10:00 AM-2:00 PM
- Donation Sorter: Receive donations and sort/organize them for retail
- Special Event Aids: parking, baking, decorating, greeting, room set up and take down
- Game Day “4th” at cards or other games
- Book Cart: 15 minutes each weekday, before and after lunch.
- FunDay Aide: Assist in the activities for participants with minor cognitive impairment
- Caregiver Support Group
- Computer Aide
- Exercise Class Aide
- Giving Voice Choir: sectional companions
Volunteer requirements: Criminal and driving background check, to be done before first visit. Sensitivity, Virtual Dementia Training and HIPPA (confidentiality) training.
- Bird Feeder: Weekly in the summertime refill feeders for home bound seniors.
- Lunch dates: Social meal time engagement twice a month.
- Cribbage/game/puzzle partner: Play and laugh twice or more per month.
- Letter Writer: Assist home bound seniors to write to friends and family.
- Walking companion: Using the 32 most walkable trails or simply along safe roads, be a companion, but not a medical helper.
- Reader: Providing the sound of a real voice, reading aloud, twice or more per month for an hour.
- Sand Bucket Safety: Using donated 5 gallon buckets, fill each with sand, and deliver it to Meals On Wheels seniors, and other home bound individuals once or twice a year in the late autumn and winter.